Responding to Your Kids’ Challenging Behaviors at Home
Our children’s misbehaviors can be addressed through preventive strategies, modifying the environment, and by teaching them alternative behaviors. When trying to resolve a child’s challenging behavior, parents can try the following approach:
- Identify the problem and agree on what behavior is going to be addressed.
- Brainstorm solutions to understand what function the behavior is serving.
- Make a plan involving an acceptable solution that allows the child to achieve the function being served by the challenging behavior. That is, if the function is also acceptable.
- Implement the plan consistently and across settings.
- Evaluate the outcome to determine next steps.
- Develop alternative solutions for various family members or situations.