Summer Time with Your Preschoolers
It is that time of year when parents are deciding about what they can do with their kids during the summer. Many of us have big ideas that are too expensive or time-consuming for a family’s resources. GenParenting readers shared the following affordable activities for fun-filled times with their children:
- A camping trip that you can share with other families
- A long weekend at a family friendly beach, resort, or motel
- Spending a night at an animal sanctuary and waking up to the sounds of lions, water buffalo, exotic birds, or farm animals
- Staying in a cabin or tent lodge at a lake or national park
- Bicycle rides through botanical gardens or community parks
- Planning overnight and extended visits with grandparents or special friends that allow for exploration of new cities and landmarks
When planning these getaways, consider the following:
- Keep it simple and flexible.
- Be spontaneous and ready to change when children become tired or lose interest.
- There is no need to travel far from home as children love the simplicity of a local adventure.
- It doesn’t have to cost much to be fun. The best adventures are typically inexpensive or free. These can include hiking, riding bikes, digging in the sand, and water play either at home or at a nearby park, beach, or lake.
- The trip does not have to be days long.
- Children can plan the excursion.
- Include friends and family and share childcare duties.
Happy travels as you plan this year’s adventures with your children!
Copyright © 2018 by GenParenting