Care for Your Child by Caring for Yourself
Parents ensure that their children get enough sleep, make healthy food choices, and are ready to learn. Parents must also consider what they need to do for themselves for self-care. We are our children’s first and primary teachers. We should model the healthy lifestyle that we want our children to follow.
Summarized below are some effective tips for you to practice:
- Plan for sufficient sleep each day, i.e. 7 hours.
- Walk and exercise daily for at least 20 to 30 minutes.
- Choose healthy food for meals and snacks.
- Refocus during a challenging day by making time for reflection and reviewing your priorities.
- Use humor to diffuse difficult situations.
- Confirm your integrity by writing a personal mission statement.
- Walk your talk and be true to your beliefs.
- Maintain a spiritual base for you and your family. Help your children focus on your family’s spiritual beliefs when making daily decisions.
- Cherish each moment of every day and live your best life.
When I apply these tips, my life is full of love, fulfillment, and promise. I can share this inner beauty and strength with my children. We all have a better day when I lead from my heart.
Copyright © 2018 by GenParenting
Yvette King-Berg, is the Executive Director of Youth Policy Institute’s Charter Schools. She was the former California Charter Schools Association Vice-President of School Development and Outreach-Southern California. Ms. King-Berg has over thirty years of experience working with teachers, students, parents, and organizations in a variety of positions including Director, Assistant Director, Curriculum Advisor, Bilingual, and Title 1 Coordinators, classroom teacher (K-12) in Pasadena and LAUSD. She has been married for twenty-three years, and is the proud mother of her son, EJ, who attends UC Berkeley.