What Should You Consider When Selecting Your Child’s Preschool?
Each spring, parents struggle when making a decision about selecting the appropriate learning environment for their preschool child. Important considerations should include the following:
- What type of learning environment supports your child?
- Does the school provide both academic and play centered learning activities?
- Is the school day structured to meet your child’s needs?
- Does the school provide for outside activities, free play, arts exploration, and creative expression?
- Does the school’s curriculum accommodate a variety of learning modes?
- Should you register for a school that requires parent participation?
- Is the school accessible from your home and work place?
- How much can you afford to spend on a preschool program?
- Does the school provide flexible extended care hours beyond the regular school day?
- Do the students represent the demographics of your community?
How to Evaluate Your Child’s Learning Style
When considering your needs, it is important to observe your child’s learning style. For example, how much time does your child engage in creative play compared to outside play and academic activities? It is important to honor the essence of your child’s passions. At the same time, it is also critical for your child to explore and be exposed to other types of learning activities. These reflective considerations will help guide you in selecting the ideal program that not only meets your needs but also helps develop your child to his or her fullest potential.
Happy preschool selection!
Copyright © 2017 by GenParenting