Grandparents’ Influences on Our Children
In the spirit of the holiday season, it is important to thank grandparents and the many people who have influenced our children. Grandparents and other significant adults can have a huge impact on their grandchildren and children. Some grandparents are the primary caregivers for their grandchildren because their parents cannot adequately care for their children. Many grandmas and grandpas provide daily or multi-day care for their grandchildren each week. These grandparents provide significant infant and preschool care. Many grandparents also pick up their grandchildren from school and provide them with extended care, enrichment activities, and homework support.
10 Activities that Can Influence Our Grandchildren
Besides infant and preschool care, some of my favorite after-school activities with my grandchildren include:
- Talking to them about life’s transitions, how to cope with problems, and how to maintain a healthy outlook on life.
- Discussing future plans for career options and what it takes to prepare for and succeed in a particular career.
- Making cookies, cooking dinner together, and having fun in the kitchen.
- Sharing arts and crafts activities together that include making greeting cards, creating seasonal decorations, and painting together.
- Participating in outside adventures including hiking, sports, playing at the park, gardening, or playing in the water.
- Supporting community service projects together. These include feeding the homeless, planting trees, cleaning parks, or making gifts for seniors.
- Reading books, writing stories, and creating books with illustrations.
- Playing games and creating new ways to play card games.
- Learning more about the children’s family history and researching the family’s homeland and customs.
- Going to a museum, a historical monument, or partcipating in a nature outing.
I am impressed with how simple daily pleasures can help my grandchildren learn about their world. Frequently, I hear my grandchildren say my words and describe outings like me. My grandchildren can transform a simple activity into one of life’s great adventures.
Happy play times with your grandkids and the significant children in your life.