How to Reduce School Day Stress
The school year has started and now you feel exhausted. What are 10 quick strategies to improve your outlook on life and get through the long weeks of driving kids to schools, coordinating activities, and helping with homework?
10 Strategies to Reduce Immediate Stress
- Get a handle on your life by picking up household clutter each day. Your children can share this activity as one of their responsibilities. Then you can truly relax.
- Do something for yourself that you enjoy. This may include hiking, playing tennis, swimming, exercising, window shopping, or reading a book.
- Self-Reflect on the beauty and wonders in your life. Reflective activities include meditation, journaling, walking or relaxing in a natural setting, listening to music, or reading reflective thoughts for the day.
- Pamper yourself with a massage or by taking the time for a bubble bath or a hot shower.
- Get together with friends and share life’s joys, challenges, and brainstorm solutions to daily problems.
- Embellish your hobby and take the time to enjoy it. This can include attending seminars, classes, journaling, and writing blogs.
- Pursue your dream. If you have not taken the time to complete college, take a course, change jobs, or become active in your community. Start taking baby steps to fulfill your career and self-growth dreams.
- Give back to the community. It is very difficult to take care of others all day long. Taking time for a purpose greater than yourself or your family can be very rewarding. Some parents become active in a school committee while others take their children with them to clean the beaches or plant a tree.
- Find your spiritual center through nature, religion, or a cause greater than yourself.
- Stay humble and always give more than you take from the world.