How Parents Can Support Their Children’s School Successes
Providing students and staff with challenging opportunities can bolster their confidence. This can improve their desire to excel when they experience success.
Writing a Novel
Our middle school’s teachers have dedicated themselves to promoting literacy in all subject areas this year because many of our students are not reading and writing at grade level. Our 7th grade teachers decided to have their students participate in the NaNoWriMo National Novel Writing Month last November.
Each 7th grade student wrote an 8,000-word novel about a personal experience, hope, or dream by completing the following steps:
- Research a topic.
- Outline the novel’s fictional or non-fictional contents.
- Write the novel in 30 days.
- Peer review and self-edit through feedback.
- Use the Hemingway software application for writing feedback.
- Professionally assemble the novel.
- Learn how to sell a self-published book at a local book fair.
Many students were surprised that they could complete the assignment. They also began pursuing more writing challenges that allowed them to be creative. [Read more…]